16163 Highway 12 West, Tay
The Martyrs’ Shrine is a National Shrine to the Canadian Martyrs. It honors eight Jesuit Saints who lived, worked and died there over 350 years ago. The holy relics within the Shrine are from St. Jean de Brebeuf and St. Gabriel Lalemant who were heavily involved with the Huron Wendat, the Indigenous people of North Simcoe, and spreading catholicism to the world.
Mission of St.Ignace
1611 Rosemount Road, Waubaushene
The Mission of St.Ignace is located in what was once Huron Wendat land. The significance behind this site contributes to the end of the Jean de Brebeuf story. This is the location where Jean de Brebeuf and Gabriel Lalemant were killed by the Iroquois after being captured at Saint-Louis Mission. The attack of the Iroquois lead to the fleeing of the Huron Wendat people.
The corner of Granny White Sideroad and Reeves Road, Tay
This significant historic site also adds to the Jean de Brebeuf story, this being the site of where him and Gabriel Lalemant were captured by the Iroquois people, which lead to their inevitable fate. The capture of these men are what began the end of the Huron Wendat people occupying the Huronia area.
16164 Highway 12 East, Midland
The story of Sainte-Marie Among the Huron dates back almost 400 years and began as the homeland of the Huron Wendat people. This site was also where the French Jesuit Priests operated from when trying to spread Catholicism throughout the world. Sainte-Marie Among the Huron is widely known around the world due to being the final resting spot of Jean de Brebeuf and Gabriel Lalemant.
311 Talbot St, Port McNicoll
This ship was one of five owned by Canadian Pacific and partially responsible for populating Western Canada while also boosting the economic development of Alberta and Saskatchewan. This ship was designed with comfort, class and beauty in mind and is now on display for all to see! Travel back in time aboard the S.S. Keewatin and see what it would have been like to be a passenger on this ship in early to mid 1900s.
The Village Mercantile
154 William Street, Victoria Harbour
Built in 1902 as a general store for the lumber company that operated out of Victoria Harbour, this building is still standing and operating today. The outside of the building remains largely the same, distinguishable with the yellow and white paint.
Victoria Harbour Former Library
152 William Street, Victoria Harbour
The library for the villagers of Victoria Harbour was built by John Waldie, owner of Victoria Harbour Lumber Company, because they voted for prohibition in the village. This building served as a library until 1927 when the last mill closed.
Cedar Point Road and the 18th Concession, down the dirt road
Two crosses occupy this site and they are worth the trip. This was the location of the first Catholic mass in Ontario. The inscription on the cross says “The First Mass in Ontario, August 12, 1615, ‘Champlain and fourteen men plus Father LeCaron Recollet” Present for this mass by Father LeCaron Recollet was Samuel de Champlain, his men and the Huron peoples.
The Calvary Cross
East of the village of Lafontaine on the north side of the
This cross has an interesting story of how it came to be erected on this site. Being on the farm land of Louis Deschenaux, the first settler in the area. The Parish Priest at the time had a cross made to closely resemble the one Jesus was crucified on and carried it on his back as far as he could from the doors of the church. The site of the cross is where he fell.
The Randolf Cross
The corner of County Road 6 and the 15th Concession
This cross is used to mark the site of a small Anglican Church that was relocated across the road from St. James on the Lines in Penetanguishene. Although it is made of wood the Randolf Cross has held up well as a result of the good care is has received.