Midland Rotary Waterfront Trail
Take County Road 93 to Vindin Street, Midland, which is north of main shopping area. Turn right at lights and follow road to Harbourview Dr. Turn left and take first right to Pete Pettersen Park.
Pete Pettersen Park, Town Dock, Unimin Park or Ste. Marie Park
Pete Pettersen Park or Town Dock (May - Thankgiving)
Flowing past Ste. Marie among the Hurons, you can explore this recreated, 17th century French Jesuit mission headquarters and experience the interaction of the French and native Wendat Huron nation.
Sainte Marie Park:
A view of Martyr's Shrine (a church which honors the eight Jesuit saints who lived, worked and died here over 350 years ago).
Overlooking the marina and Georgian Bay, this provides a viewpoint where you can watch the boats sail by, enjoy a stroll along the promenade or view glorious gardens.
A Boy Scout aboretum hosting various species of trees for all of Canada's provinces and territories.
7 acres of land overlooking the waters of Georgian Bay. See boat on their way to the Midland Town Docks.
Called the Garden of Natural Species, this park was built by the Midland Parks staff which exhibits plants that are native to this area.
Midland Town Docks:
The protected deep water harbour of Midland Bay is crucial to the Town's waterway transportation and includes a tourist information centre, washrooms and a fantastic restaurant with a shaded patio where you can enjoy a cold drink or a bite to eat.
Old Rail Museum Relics:
The Midland Railway was begins in the community of Port Hope on the shores of Lake Ontario and stretches to the southern reaches of Georgian Bay in Midland, Ontario.
Pete Peterson Park:
Named after a local ski jump builder/promoter, this 24-acre park is equipped with a baseball diamond, an outstanding view of Georgian Bay, a swimming and play area, and access to the Rotary Waterfront Trail.
Interactive Map: http://bit.ly/2PtwDr1
Save a PDF Map: http://bit.ly/2Eq1pdO
Tay Shore Trail
Trail Location: Follow Hwy 12 to the bridge over the Wye River and look for Ste. Marie Park on the northwest side. OR Follow Hwy 400 to Hwy 12, then north on Coldwater Road until trailhead.
Nearest Town: Waubaushene, Victoria Harbour, Port McNicoll, and Midland.
Trail Length: 16 km
Parking: Ste. Marie Park, Trestle Park, Waubaushene Government Dock, and Victoria Harbour.
Washrooms: Trestle Park
The Shrine honors the eight Jesuit saints who lived, worked and died here, more than 350 years ago.
Sainte Marie among the Hurons:
From 1639 to 1649 this land was home toa French Jesuit settlement in Wendake, the lake of the Wendat. A reconstruction of the mission now operates as a living museum. This attraction is only open seasonally.
This wetland is home to an amazing diversity of bird specicies and also provides nesting habitat to some uncommon species such as Bittern, Black Tern and the Trumpeter Swan. Wye Marsh is open from 9am - 5p, year-round. Entry fees apply.
This is a paved trail which leads into Port McNicoll by following Hogg Bay to Ney Avenue. Follow this path to tour the mighty S.S. Keewatin (open seasonally).
Can be accessed from where the trail crosses Albert Street. There are several small shops (don't miss the Antique Shop!) and eateries in this quaint village.
Waubaushene Beaches Provincial Nature Reserve:
This park is a short walk from the Tay Shore Trail. There is a diverse range of forest types and other biotic communities. A short uphill climb gives you a fantastic view of Georgian Bay.
Coldwater Road Parkette:
Trail users can park here and use the picnic facitlities.
Interactive Map: http://bit.ly/2RUSWaF
Save a PDF Map: http://bit.ly/2Z22his
From Penetanguishene, follow Robert St. to Overhead Bridge Rd. which passes over trail. OR County Road 27 to Elmvale; then 3.5 Km to Cty. Rd. 6. Look on the east side of Cty. Rd.6.
Wyevale, Elmvale, and Penetanguishene
Wyevale, Perkinsfield, Penetanguishene Pk., Con. 4 & Cty. Rd. 6, Con. 12 (Summer).
Elmvale, Wyevale, Perkinsfield, and Penetanguishene.
Copeland Creek Bridges: There are 14 historic bridges onthe Tiny Trail. Eleven of which can be found between the start of the trail in Penetanguishene and Conc. Road 12.
North Simcoe Railway: In 1847, stagecoaches would run between Barrie and Penetanguishene and featured a tavern every 2km at which passengers could stop to rest. The North Simcoe Railway Line was built in 1878 to replace the stagecoach service, much to the dissapointment of the 37 tavern owners.
Three More Bridges: These bridges can been seen between Conc. Road 3 and the southern terminus of the trail.
Interactive Map: http://bit.ly/2YYZczI
Save a PDF Map: http://bit.ly/2Puyg7u
Awenda Provincial Park Trails
Awenda offers a nice variety of looped and linear, easy to moderate trails and range from 1 to 13 km in length. One trail provides barrier-free access.
Beach Trail – 4 km return (1.5 hours) linear, easy
This trail takes hikers along the Georgian Bay shoreline. Giant’s Tomb Island is visible from the trail. The contrast between the dry oak-maple forest of the campgrounds and the low, wet birch-cedar-hemlock forest below the bluff can be seen.
Beaver Pond Trail – 1 km (30 minutes) loop, easy, barrier free
Located in a nature reserve zone most of this trail is a boardwalk that takes you through an area altered by past and present beaver activity. Along the way you will see the remains of both a building and a bridge from the early logging days. The area also offers views of the dominant Nipissing bluff as well as excellent opportunities for viewing wildlife, wildflowers and many species of birds.
Bluff Trail – 13 km (3.5 hours) loop, moderate
This circular trail can be accessed from a number of locations within the park. It travels partly along a high bluff and partly through a low wetland. Views of Georgian Bay from sections of this trail are spectacular, especially during the late autumn, early spring leaf- free season.
Nipissing Trail – 1 km return (30 minutes) linear, moderate
The Nipissing Bluff is the dominant glacial feature in Awenda. It is a raised beach created 5,500 years ago by glacial Lake Nipissing. Today a 155 step staircase allows hikers to easily descend 32 metres down the face of the bluff, at times providing you with the sensation of being part of the forest canopy.
Brûlé Trail - 4 km return (1.5 hours) linear, easy
This trail passes through a portion of the park’s upland mixed deciduous forest. Lumbering and fires have obliterated the White Pine stands so that the majority of trees are now Sugar Maple and Red Oak. Lumbering on the peninsula was at its peak in the late 1800s. Since then the forest has been allowed to revert to its natural state but the White Pine has been unable to fully re-establish itself.
Robitaille Homestead Trail – 3 km return (1hour) linear, easy
Hikers follow this trail to an ancient dune system. The age of these sand dunes has been estimated at 11,500 years, from the time of the last glacial retreat. The dunes are a very fragile environment and we ask that you do not climb the hillside, stand on the edge of the bluff or climb down the bluff. This will allow plants to re-establish themselves and will help us preserve this area for future park visitors. On the way to the dunes, this trail passes an abandoned farmstead originally built in 1902. Remains of the stone foundations and fence rows can still be seen.
Wendat Trail – 5 km (2 hours) loop, easy
This trail begins at Kettle’s Lake. This lake is thought to be a kettle lake formed by the gradual melting of a large buried piece of ice left by retreating glaciers. Today, this area is a favoured nesting spot for the Red-winged Blackbird and the Great Blue Heron is often seen in the swamps around the lake. The trail passes the foundations of the Brabant farmstead house and barn. Attempts to farm this area in the 1930s and 40s failed due to the poor, sandy soil.
Take Highway 400 to County Road 93. Follow Main Street to the Town Dock.
Town Dock, Arena, Penetanguishene Rotary Park
Town Dock and Waterfront Park
A re-creation of a British Naval base which was built around 1817.
Historic Port of Penetanguishene:
The waterfront used to the a focal point for industry and logging. Now it is used as a marine recreation centre. Sit and enjo the views of the harbour before continuing your journey.
Rotary Champlain Wendat Park:
This beautiful space contains a variety of recreational facilities including a splashpad!
Copeland Creek Side Trail:
This trail starts at the west end of the rest area and cover 1.25km partly on boardwalks meandering through marshland.
Overhead Bridge Road Tunnel:
This trail goes through a tunnel and joins a beautiful section of trails running through a mixed forest before meeting with the Tiny Trail.
Interactive Map: http://bit.ly/36NCIEx
Save a PDF Map: http://bit.ly/2S2jqH9
Tiny Marsh Loop Trail
From Elmvale, go north on County Road 27, then left onto County Rd. 6. Turn west onto the Tiny/Flos townline and go 4 Km west. The trail starts from the interpretive centre parking lot on the north side of the townline.
Used by swallows, house wrens and chicadees in the summer. The larger birdhouses are used by wood ducks.
Series of Dams:
The dams provide an important piece of water management technique in the Tiny Marsh, providing the means to maintain a stable habitat for the creatures who live there.
This is located between the marsh and the swamp.
Groundcover and Vegetation:
Low variety and sparse density contribute to the unique eco-system found here.
A fantastic location to view the ample wildlife.
Interactive Map: http://bit.ly/2EpKhF8
Save a PDF Map: http://bit.ly/2su7Xp7